Thursday, March 31, 2011

Time for yourself

    After watching a recent Oprah show called "How happy is America?" I started really thinking to myself, "How happy am I lately?"  The truth is, I'm not a very happy mommy.  I'm always stressed, always running around trying to complete at least 10 tasks at once.  I didn't watch very much of the show but one part in particular has really stuck in my head.  Oprah asked the audience and views from home, "Do you take any time out of your day for complete silence?"  She said that everyone should take at least 10 minutes out of each and every day to allow yourself COMPLETE SILENCE.  Studies prove that people who do at least this if not more are happier and more serene.  I have started trying to make a little time each day to be alone and do nothing.  Even if it's just 5-10 minutes it really revitalizes a person, especially a busy mommy like me.  Whether its your job that has you stressed on top of home life, relationships, every day tasks you are constantly to achieve perfection in, or whatever you NEED time to just sit and remember your a person too.  You're important and it's important to know that your allowed to make yourself feel important, special, and be independent. 
    On our way to drop my 4 year old off at preschool yesterday my 2 year old started vomiting all over himself in his carseat.  We were already 2 minutes away from the school and about 10 minutes from home so I went ahead and dropped my 4 year old off and all the way home my 2 year old kept throwing up on himself.  I felt terrible but there was nothing I could do until we got home and I could unstrap him out of his carseat.  We came in, he took a bath, and after throwing up at least 10 more times, he was able to rest but NOT unless he was laying on mommy.  Instead of cleaning and disinfecting I was laying on the couch almost all day comforting him, changing his blankets and diapers, etc..  He was feeling better yesterday evening and I finally had to make him to go bed by himself.  After being called mean and putting him back to bed about 10 times he fell asleep.  I remember right before bed I said to my husband "I hope tomorrow is a better day, I had so many plans for today."
    I woke up at 3 am this morning to my 4 year old laying in my bed crying "I WANT YOU MAMA".  I asked what was wrong and he said he had a bad dream about a red power ranger cutting him in half.  Of course, I couldn't send him back to his bed alone so I let him stay with us.  He tossed and turned a few times and just as soon as I started falling back to sleep he started throwing up.  ALL OVER ME and our bed.  I got up, turned on the light, went to the hallway and just burst into tears.  I couldn't take it anymore.  After regrouping I went back in the bedroom to find my 2 year old had come into the room and fell back asleep in the floor on my side of the bed so he too was covered in throw up.  It took us about an hour to clean everything and everyone up, my husband made a 4 am run to the pharmacy, and I tried to get the kids back to sleep.  The baby was screaming and didn't want to go back to bed, my 4 year old was still throwing up every few minutes off the side of the couch into a bucket, and then all of the commotion woke up my 6 year old who needed to get up for school in 2 HOURS!  So, We finally got everyone back to sleep at 5am, woke back up at 6.  My husband had to go to work and I got my 6 year old ready and on the bus then came back in to sleep with the other two for a few more hours.  Luckily they slept until 10am and were feeling much better when they woke up. 
    For the second time this week my plans are totally messed up but I'm not stressing about it today like I was yesterday.  After downloading some music I popped my earbuds in my ears and went to my room and just sat in the floor like a teenager, leaned against my bed, listening to The Backstreet Boys.  There's nothing a little BSB cannot fix, no matter how old I am!  I started to relax and feel very calm.  After a few minutes of that I came to my computer and decided to write this blog. 
    I know that everyone can become VERY overwelmed with life, VERY QUICKLY, and it's easy to lose yourself in everything and get frustrated.  You don't feel like yourself when this happens.  I know that I just start being hateful and feeling angry and resentful.  When you feel this urge coming on-you need some silent time.  Put the kids down for a nap, sit them down with some food and a movie, whatever you have to do to know that they are occupied for a few minutes and go off by yourself to regroup. 
   This blog may not be directly related to weight loss but i can promise you on thing-if you do NOT take time out for yourself like this-it causes stress which leads to weight gain.  I feel that weight loss is over 50% mind over matter.  You have to get your mind in the right place in order to be in the right place to lose weight and keep it off.  You have to be dedicated, happy, and determined.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Jess. I'm glad you took a few minutes for yourself and hope you are able to each day. Hope the boys are feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post. Despite being sick the past few days I've still been running around trying to run the house. I am going to heed your advice and throw on my headphones for a bit. Great post! Hope the kids are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete